W Bowen-Jones

Civil Engineer, Crown Surveyor

Bowen Jones appears in the Carnarvon telephone directory for 1897–8 as a Civil Engineer with his address shown as Harbour Office. From 1892 he was a (presumably junior) partner of (and was possibly married to the daughter of) Job Bowen who was a civil engineer in Caernarfon. (Job Bowen, died 1907 aged 77, was the only son of Mining-Captain James Bowen, of Trelogan Hall, Flintshire.) [Carnarvon Traders]

A letterhead of 1917 shows his qualifications of FSI (Fellow of the Institution of Surveyors) and AMICE (Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers) and gives his (presumed office) address as 4 Church Street, Carnarvon. The leterhead shows him also to be the Engineer to the Carnarvon Harbour Trust. [GAS DAO Z/DAM/630]

Bowen-Jones’s Crown Mines and Quarries notebooks for 1913–1917 include reports on Egryn, Graig Uchaf, Hafotty, Hendre, Molefre, Mynydd Llanbedr, Mynydd Nodol and Rhinog [GAS CAO XD/35/420, 422, 424]

In 1907 Bowen-Jones was consulted on the route of the aerial cableway from Garreg Fawr iron mine, Betws Garmon, to Llanberis. [Wilkinson 2005]