Hafod y Bryn, Llanbedr
|1882||shareholder (one share) Oakeley Slate Quarries Company Limited|
|1884–1889||operator Croesor slate quarry|
|1888||company director Anglesey Limestone Co Ltd|
|1896||owner Hafotty (with H J Wright)|
|1896||owner Wnion (formerly Tynllwyn) gold mine|
In the period 1881–1895 Pope held numerous Crown Grants for gold at Llanaber, Llanelltyd and Llanfachreth and one at Llandwywe.
Pope was a QC [PRO BT31/4275/27734] and a senior freemason [Clements 2005] (his name appears on the foundation stone of the masonic hall in Barmouth). According to Glenys Thomas  he built Riverside cottages in Llanbedr. Among the cases he heard as a JP was the action brought by the Highways Board against the Merionethshire Mining Company in 1887 for compensation for damage caused to roads by the cartage of manganese ore [Cambrian News 7/1/1887 p. 7, 7/10/1887 p. 7; North Wales Chronicle 29/10/1887 p. 8].
As well as the association between the legal profession and freemasonry, Pope’s masonic activities may be significant in a mining context. For a discussion on freemasonry in mining in the nineteenth century see Burt .